The department has one study director for undergraduate education, Irene Söderhäll as well as one study director for third cycle education, Carina Schlebusch. Head of administration is Karin Lundberg.
The departments's activities are organized into six research programs and two SciLife facilities. Each program is headed by a program professor.
- Evolution and Developmental Biology, program professor Per Ahlberg
- Physiology and Environmental Toxicology, program professor Joëlle Rüegg
- Human Evolution, program professor Mattias Jakobsson
- Systematic Biology, program manager Martin Ryberg
- Ancient DNA facility, director Magnus Lundgren
For the day-to-day management there is a working group consisting of the head of department, deputy head of department and administrative manager.